Wednesday 22 May 2013

Why I chose Ealing Council for Fostering




My decision was finally made following considerable insight to fostering, witnessing at first hand the role of a foster carer and its responsibilities that my sister in law undertook.

At that time my brother and his wife were in the process of adopting a little girl through Ealing Council and informed me that an ‘open talk day’ was being held. They said it would be a great opportunity for me to find out more about what Ealing Council was offering.

They had recommended Ealing to me as they had a positive experience with their adoption process and found the staff very helpful and supportive during their assessment. 

I decided to take their offer and attended the talk. I found the discourse most inspiring and informative. I knew I could do this.  The staff explained at length the assessment period and procedure to become a carer.

Following the talk I signed up for an induction course. The induction team were friendly and helpful, explaining in detail what was expected of a foster carer. I really enjoyed the course and found it interesting listening to different people from various backgrounds sharing their thoughts and reasons to foster. The course took place over 4 days where we worked independently as well as engaging in role play group exercises.

Once I was accepted, a lengthy home assessment was undertaken over a period of several months. This was quite intensive and our past and present personal lives were examined and references were taken. I then met with a panel and was successfully accepted.

My experience with Ealing Council has been a positive one, as it has been for my brother and his wife during their adoption period.

Four years into fostering I can confidently say that I’ve had good relations with my support workers and found them most helpful and understanding when faced with any fostering concerns or in my personal matters.





No comments:

Post a Comment